Postdoc Highlight: Lorena de Mena Alvarez, Ph.D.

Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez
Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez

Lab of Diego Rincon-Limas, Ph.D.

Department: Neurology

Age: 36

Hometown: Gijon (Asturias, Spain)

Year I became a Gator: Fall of 2013

Research focus: Development and implementation of optogenic systems (tools that allow manipulation of gene expression in a light-dependent manner) in fruit fly models to better understand the biomolecular mechanisms involved in Alzheimer’s disease and ALS.

What drives me: The pursuit of knowledge. To know that every hour we spend in the lab, every experiment we do, every result we get, takes us a step closer to a new discovery that could potentially improve the lives of many people.

Quote: “One thing that is really important is to have a community of people who understand what you are going through — that creates a sense of belonging. The work is hard and frustrating sometimes. Someone who says, ‘I get you, I understand you,’ that’s priceless, and UF promotes that. I’m grateful for that.”

What I love about Gainesville: How diverse it is. For such a small town, one can find almost every nationality represented. I love that I can be out with a group of friends and have no nationality repeated twice. It is one of the most enriching experiences I have had in my personal life.

Something few people know about me: Although I am a fervent fan of my little model, the fruit fly, once outside the lab, I am terrified of insects.

My favorite food: “Fabada Asturiana,” a regional dish from my hometown. It is a flavorful white bean stew, perfect for the winter.

In my free time, I like to: Get together with my close friends to enjoy a drink, some laughs and good conversation.

Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez
Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez
Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez
Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez
Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez
Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez
Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez
Dr. Lorena de Mena Alvarez

MCKNIGHT BRAIN INSTITUTE

Postdoc Highlight Series

This post was published as part of a larger article on postdoctoral researchers. At UF’s McKnight Brain Institute, postdocs come from across the globe, attracted by access to renowned neuroscientists and pioneers in their fields who serve as mentors and by a wide array of leading scientific programs ranging from cognitive aging and brain tumors to Alzheimer’s disease and respiratory physiology.

Drs. Todd Golde and Cara Croft collaborate with trainees in the lab.