Postdoc Highlight: Cara Croft, Ph.D.

Dr. Cara Croft

Lab of Todd Golde, M.D., Ph.D.

Department: Neuroscience

Age: 29

Hometown: Manchester, England

Year I became a Gator: 2016

Research focus: Understanding mechanisms in Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease to seek potential drug targets.

What drives me: The fact that research can have a massive impact on people’s health and lives.

Quote: “At UF, we have a lot of sharing of resources. Everyone is always willing to help you, and it’s highly collaborative.”

What I love about Gainesville: The nature in and around Gainesville is hands-down my favorite part of living here — whether it’s the amazing trails to hike or cycle along or the freshwater springs for swimming, snorkeling or tubing.

Something few people know about me: I was a first-generation student and first-generation Ph.D. At UF, I volunteer as a first-generation advocate, providing advice on academia, research and graduate school. I love being able to help UF students who are also the first in their family to be experiencing college life and considering a Ph.D. or research opportunities navigate what can be an alien environment.

My favorite food: Mum’s home cooking.

In my free time, I like to: Travel and explore new cultures and places. I plan to visit a new country for every year of my age.

Dr. Cara Croft
Dr. Cara Croft
Dr. Cara Croft
Dr. Cara Croft
Dr. Cara Croft
Dr. Cara Croft
Dr. Cara Croft
Dr. Cara Croft

MCKNIGHT BRAIN INSTITUTE

Postdoc Highlight Series

This post was published as part of a larger article on postdoctoral researchers. At UF’s McKnight Brain Institute, postdocs come from across the globe, attracted by access to renowned neuroscientists and pioneers in their fields who serve as mentors and by a wide array of leading scientific programs ranging from cognitive aging and brain tumors to Alzheimer’s disease and respiratory physiology.

Drs. Todd Golde and Cara Croft collaborate with trainees in the lab.