By Todd Taylor
Experts at the Norman Fixel Institute for Neurological Diseases at UF Health hosted the 8th annual Deep Brain Stimulation Think Tank, uniting DBS leaders from around the globe to develop multidisciplinary collaborations, advance the field and improve patient outcomes.
In a recent perspective article in the journal Frontiers in Human Neuroscience, Vinata Vedam-Mai, Ph.D., a research assistant professor of neurology in the UF College of Medicine, and co-authors from UF and around the world outlined the proceedings of the DBS Think Tank, which was held virtually in September due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Topics addressed include:
- Advances in optogenetics
- Cutting edge of emerging DBS technologies
- Ethical issues affecting DBS research
- Neuromodulatory approaches for depression
- advancing novel hardware, software and imaging methodologies
- Adaptive neurostimulation
- Emerging DBS technologies