Behind the Scenes with Jens Rosenberg

Rosenberg sits at the M-R-I control desk with brain scans pulled up on the computer behind himAs the facility manager of the human imaging core at the MBI’s Advanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Spectroscopy Facility, known as AMRIS, Jens Rosenberg oversees the operation of two 3T MRI scanners that have the latest technologies for neuroimaging as well as whole-body imaging.

Rosenberg assists with any hardware issues, programming, post-processing and development of the scanners, which are key to many human research efforts taking place across the UF campus.

“Jens is often the first person our users meet and the go-to person for all things MRI. He has been instrumental in helping faculty get grants funded and research underway, including assisting new faculty as they get their labs up and running,” said Joanna Long, Ph.D., director of AMRIS. “He also oversees our research agreements, actively pursuing new modalities and ensuring our capabilities are state-of-the-art. Jens is one of the key reasons AMRIS supports NIH grants to UF now totaling over $40 million annually.”

Years at the MBI: 3

A memorable moment: When a big door was created by cutting through an almost inch-thick steel radiofrequency shield and brick wall to allow for the delivery of a new Philips 3T MRI scanner at the MBI.

Why I love working at UF: UF is a remarkable place with so much amazing research taking place and dedicated people. I get to interact with staff, researchers, postdocs and students from so many different fields. The fact that Gainesville is close to wonderful beaches, springs and nature only makes it better. On top of all that, I get to work for a Top 5 public university.

Fun fact: I came to UF as a master’s student from Sweden in 2005, and spent five months doing my master’s thesis on a bioartificial pancreas in the lab of Dr. Ioannis Constantinidis. This is what inspired me to pursue research, and after almost 12 years at Florida State University working with preclinical MRI, I got the opportunity to move back to UF and Gainesville

Something you might not know about MRI scanners: MRI magnets can make music from the MRI gradient system! This is the system that normally makes loud noises to generate an image. But if programmed right, it can actually play songs: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYAvxe9X3s0

Rosenberg sits at the M-R-I control desk with brain scans pulled up on the computer behind him
Rosenberg opens the door to the M-r-i machine
Rosenberg preps the M-r-i machine
Rosenberg adjusts the cables on the m-r-i machine
Rosenberg stand on the u-f health campus outdoors