Behind the Scenes with Greta Walker

Greta poses next to the M-B-I sign

For more than 20 years, Greta Walker has faithfully served the University of Florida in her current role as a custodian for the MBI. She’s known for her warmth and compassion, coupled with the love she holds for her family, both at home and the one she’s cultivated within the institute.

Walker’s responsibilities span every floor of the MBI and didn’t stop during the pandemic. Even in the world’s darkest moments, she tirelessly came to work every day to perform her job with a smile on her face and a prayer in her heart.

“Her positive energy inspires others and she brings her own sunshine no matter what the weather is,” said Sharon Holmes Warren, a UF Building Services Department superintendent.

Years at UF:

I’ve been at UF for 23 years and the MBI for 20 years now.

A memorable moment: 

It’s hard to choose just one moment because almost all of my memories are wonderful. Working here is like being surrounded by family. Every morning when I get up, I’m eager to come into work because the university is so exciting. The faculty and students are excited about their research, and it’s nice to know that I’m helping them in some way.

I’m inspired by:

I have a love of medicine and caring for people. When I was a little girl, my mother taught me how to take care of my grandma, and I love that the people here care for one another. I know that if I were to come into work needing help or emotional support, I could get it from my MBI family. The most inspiring thing about working here is watching the love and care everyone has for one another and medicine as whole.

Fun fact:

I read the Bible every single day! Then, when I’m at work, I think about the scripture and if I have questions, I just call my pastor. I am truly blessed because my mom is actually my family’s pastor. She’s a pillar in our family and I thank God every day for her influence on my life and the lives of my family.

Photos by Jackie Hart